Thursday, June 26, 2008

I am The Enemy

Originally published May 16/08

Well, the verdict is in: Kevin Barrett will be the keynote speaker at the mini-conference. The professor from Lethbridge will also be speaking, I think.

Today RD received an invitation from a new local Truther to have lunch with himself and Kevin Annett, the former United Church minister who alleges a nationwide campaign of genocide and abuse was carried out in Canada's Residential Schools. RD saw a documentary about these alleged abuses online sometime last week, and mentioned his horror to the new Truther, who happens to know Annett. Annett is also a Truther.
RD asked me if I wanted to join them, since child abuse/clerical abuse issues are very important to me, and I snapped, "No, I'm not welcome. I'm the enemy." I confess this was partly jealousy. I've been closely following and studying such issues for years, and here's Johny-come-lately having lunch with Kevin Annett! It's not right! In fact, RD continuously told me not to be so anti-Catholic, just because I felt the Vatican erred by rejecting the U.S. bishops' decent plan for dealing with abuse problems in American churches.
But we didn't bicker over that. We argued about my use of the word "enemy". RD insists the majority of Truthers see me as a potential recruit and a person with a right to make up her own mind, not as the enemy. Never mind that I've been called an "accessory to war crimes after the fact" by a prominent Truther/exopolitician. Never mind that the first time she clapped eyes on me, RD's Truther friend Barb laid a sympathetic hand on his shoulder and said, "It must be so hard for you to be with someone who doesn't GET IT." Never mind that when RD told one local Truther I wasn't a believer yet, he cheerfully said, "Well, fuck her." Yes, there are some lovely and tolerant Truthers out there - I know several and am very friendly with them - but let's face it, most of them want nothing to do with a firm non-believer.
Yes, I AM the enemy. I accept reality. I know that Truthers aren't suddenly going to say to me, "Oh oopsy-doodle, you're not the AntiChrist, maybe we made a mistake."

I know this. I understand. And I'm OK with it.
If thinking with my own brain instead of David Ray Griffin's brain or Alex Jones's brain makes me The Enemy, so freakin' be it.

Anyway, on to other news. On Air America last week, Steven Jones said his theory is that the World Trade Center was brought down not by thermate, as he has attempted to prove, but by radio-activated nanothermate. Unlike plain ol' thermate, it's explosive. Apparently this stuff really exists, unlike the nanobacteria and scalar weaponry other conspiranoids talk about, but I know nothing whatsoever about it. RD has bought into Jones's new theory already, at least partially, since it finally allows for Jones's thermate theory to explain the pre-collapse explosive sounds Truthers are always talking about.

I'm relieved that RD isn't into the other conspiracy theories so popular among Truthers: chemtrails, depopulation schemes of the global elite, Illuminati occult ritual mind control assassination training, etc. Yesterday I played for him a few minutes of a cable access TV show out of Austin, The Freeman Perspective, in which host "Freeman" tried to explain that Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears are mind-controlled slaves and that Anna Nicole's baby might have been a fatherless "moonchild" summoned to her womb by a Crowleyan Satanic ritual. Um. 'Kay. RD just finds hooey like this extremely annoying, and asked me to turn it down after about 5 minutes.

Update: By an odd coincidence, we ran into Kevin Annett on vacation and I was able to arrange a local speaking engagement for him.

No comments: